Do you want to know where is trash on the mac terminal? Searching for an effective way to get deleted files or folders of your Mac OS X back from the trash folder? Suffering from the several issue in recovering deleted files back? Well, no need to be worry. This page will help you to locate hidden or delete Trash folder and recover them back. This page cover the Trash related following topics :
- About Trash in Mac OS X
- Benefits of Trash
- Causes for the corruption of Trash
- Location where Trash Stored
- Steps to access, retrieve & delete files or folders from Trash
- Techniques To Solve Trash Issues
In the Computing, Trash terms used as a temporary storage where deleted files have been stored. It is presented as the special file directory to Mac user which allow them to browse the deleted files, undelete accidental deletion of file or delete permanently from the PC. In the Trash folder, record is kept of individual directory’s and file’s original location. If you open Trash folder to view the contents, you will noticed that all objects are stored in the single Trash folder. Actually, Trash is used to display the complete list that is union of content of all individual Trash folder which is associated with your personal or professional account on the all writable volumes. If you want to get more details about Trash then you can go through with it’s wikipedia.
- Restore deleted items
- Trash location
- Trash size
- Show Hide Recycle Bin from Desktop
- Put trashed items back where you found them
- Accidental deletion of files from Trash folder.
- Use of “Shift+Delete+Command” option to empty the Trash.
- Virus attacks
- Enabling the “Auto Empty Trash” option
- Emptying the Trash bin without checking the content etc.
- Go to Folder from Finder’s Go menu
- Provide ~/.Trash as the path
- For Trash on other drives, open them in the Finder and deliver .Trashes/501 as the path
- Open Trash – To open Trash click on Trash’s icon in the Dock. Now, a Finder window will open on your screen called Trash opens. You can see the list of all files or folders that Trash contains.
- Retrieve item from Trash – To retrieve items of Trash, drag it back either on Desktop of folder from where it belongs.
- Empty the Trash – You can delete unwanted files or folders from Trash forever by pressing “Shift+Command+Delete” button or Finder > Empty Trash.
[Know How To Empty Trash Through Terminal – https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5538972?tstart=0]
Despite of simplicity, periodically and other features of Trash, it might be possible that you cannot use Trash easily to retrieve accidental deletion of files or folders and delete unwanted files permanently. If you are unable to empty the Mac’s Trash or suffer with other Trash issues then you should try either manual or automatic solution :
|1. Manual Solution|
|2. Automatic Solution|
This method uses the hidden feature of Mac System to force Trash to empty. Follow the provided steps carefully :
- First of all, click on Trash icon in “Dock” to open it in the Finder.
- For Trash, the context menu will displayed on your screen.
- Hold down “Option key” or “Shift+Option” while clicking on the Empty button.
- Choose Empty Trash from the displayed context menu and then after release the pressed keys.
- Look at the stuck files or folders
- If there \is some unusual characters especially slashes then remove them and then emptying the Trash folder.
- Check where it is solved your issue or not. If yes then it is good otherwise you have to move for further procedure.
- Right click on the stubborn files or folders and choose “Get Info” option.
- If the “Locked” option is checked then uncheck it and close the windows.
- Repeat this procedure for the other locked object in Trash
This procedure helps you to empty the Trash and create a new directory named ~/.Trash with the correct permissions and ownership. To rescue Trash issues follow these steps :
- First of all, log in to your email account
- Open the Termination which is usually located in Macuntosh HD>Applications>Utilities Folder.
- Now, type of of any following commands :
- Click on Return button.
- When prompted, type admin password and then after again press on “Return” button.
- Now, you have to type “y” for yes to delete each file of trash and affected .Trash folder.
- If affected account is your Admin account then log out. But if the affected account was the other user account, log out of that opened account.
- At last, log in to affected account.
Important Note :
There is only single space between sudo, rm and -ri in the above mentioned command.
Be assure that you have typed command exactly before proceeding.
|Name of Software||Screenshot||Paid/Free||User’s Rating||Download|
Lazesoft Mac Data Recovery is an effective and appropriate solution to resolve almost all Trash related issues. It helps you to know where is trash on mac terminal and retrieve all accidental deleted contents. This software is totally free, that’s why you can use it without purchasing it’s license version. It lies within the System tools and more precisely Backup & Restore. It features with highly advanced features and user-friendly interface which makes it very easy and convenient-to-use. Any Mac System user can use Lazesoft Mac Data Recovery
tool and fix the Trash issues.
- Easily recover the accidental deletion of file or content from Trash folder.
- Compatible with almost all version of Mac System.
- Supported several file formats and Systems
- Provide the free technical support to user.
- File preview option makes it more popular.
|Name||Lazesoft Mac Data Recovery 2.0|
|File size||18.58MB (19,477,874 bytes)|
|Operating Systems||Mac OS 10.9 Mavericks, Mac OS 10.8 Mountain Lion, Mac OS X Lion 10.7, Mac OS X Snow Leopard 10.6, Mac OS 10.5 Leopard and Mac OS Server 10.5 Leopard.|
|RAM||At least 1GB|
|Supported Languages||Multiple languages|
|Date added||September 8, 2014|
|Supported file systems||HFS, HFS+, HFSX, FAT12, FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, NTFS5, EXFAT|
- To know where is Mac stored on Mac terminal and resolve Trash related issue, first of all download Lazesoft Mac Data Recovery and drag this software to the Applications folder to install.
- Choose a recovery mode among Fast Scan, Undelete, Unformatted and Deep Scan. Then after click on the “Next” button.
- List of files will be appeared on your screen.
- At last, choose the directory to save your recovered contents.
Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery offers the helpful Trash Mac data recovery tool for recovery of all deleted items of Trash. This software performed very well and recovered all documents. Compared to the other Trash recovery tool, it is regarded as one of the most effective. The clear and simple layout of this software makes it very easy to use. This is considered as the all-in-one software that performs several recovery tasks. All modules of software are designed to fulfill all requirements of several data deleted or lost cases. Doesn’t matter, how complicated your data loss scenario is, you can easily regain them by using Advance or Quick scan. It’s interactive and user-friendly interface and highly advanced features does not only saves your precious time but also deliver the 100% best recovery results.
- Capable of recovering all deleted, lost files from Trash folder.
- Helpful in recover the permanent Trashed files
- Features with highly advanced scanning modes
- Free preview of Mac Trash deleted files
- Enhanced GUI
- Featured with several additional features.
- Support 550+ file formats
- Supported all version of Mac OS X.
|Operating System||macOS Sierra 10.12, 10.11, 10.10, 10.9, 10.8, 10.7 & 10.6|
|Memory||1 GB Minimum Hard Disk|
|Free Space||50 MB|
|Software Interface Available In||English, German, French, Dutch, Italian, Spanish|
- To resolve Trash related issues, first of all you have to download & install Stellar Phoenix Mac Data Recovery software and open it to execute.
- Choose Partition from the left pane, click on the “Recover Data” from middle pane and select Quick scan option from the right pane.
- Then after click on the “Start Scan” button to perform the scanning procedure.
- Quick scanning progress bar will be appear on your screen.
- On the successful scanning procedure, message will be prompt on your desktop. Click on OK button.
- Now, a window will appear with the list of file so that you can preview your file.
- Choose single or multiple file from the appeared list and then after click on “Recover” button.
- Choose destination or location where you want to save recovered data.
- A window will appear on your screen which advise System user to check the destination of data saving. If you are completely sure about the destination path then click on the “Proceed Anyway” option.
- At last, you will see a progress bar which indicates that your data is saving at your desired location.
Fireebok Data Recovery is another Trash recovery utility from the subcategory of Backup & Restore. It is a useful recovery utility or application to recover almost all lost, formatted, deleted or corrupted data from your Mac PC. By using this highly advanced Trash recovery software, you can easily restore your delete contents from the Trash folder and resolve almost all Trash related issues. It’s powerful and highly advanced features makes it very convenient-to-use. It does not only recover your all lost photos, videos, documents, or other content but also recover the all precious data that lost due to formatting, accidental deleting, virus attack, power failure, software crash etc.
- Powerful Trash Mac Data Recovery Software
- Precise & flexible recovery for Mac based OS.
- Versatile “Preview” ability.
- Simple Interface.
- File filters option before and after scanning.
|Subcategory||Backup & Restore|
|Supported Operating systems||Mac|
|File size||3.04 MB|
- Run Fireebok Data Recovery Software on your Mac System.
- Select a specific drive and choosing the scanning mode.
- Now, select a recovery mode to start the scanning procedure.
- Select your preferable files and save to your Mac System.
- Lastly, click on “Recover” button.
Mac data recovery guru is another Trash recovery utility that helps Mac user to recover files from Trash after it has been empties and the files from the corrupted, formatted or the unmountable disks. This utility works on any type of media from the standard Mac disks to disks from another OS that are usually unreadable in the Mac OS X. It supports an unique user Interface so that Mac user can easily browser and recover the deleted files. It scans PC deep to detect the deleted or lost files and recover them easily.
- Supports almost all devices
- Preview the scanned and recoverable files
- Easy to use
- 100% safe
- Recover almost everything that you need
|Name||Mac data recovery guru|
|Release Date||November 15, 2011|
|Category||Utilities & Operating Systems|
|Supported Operating Systems||Mac OS X 10.6/10.7/10.8|
- Open Mac data recovery guru tool on your Mac PC.
- Simple setup interface will be appeared on your screen. Follow the instructions carefully.
- A window will appear on your screen which state that “Scan Completed”. Press on OK button.
- Before clicking on the “Recover” button, you can preview the files.
- This utility also allow you to preview the music files before recovery.
- At last, recovery is completed. You can see the status of recovery on your screen.
Tenorshare Mac Data Recovery Software is sufficient for Mac user to recover deleted, lost, formatted or corrupted contents from the Trash folder. This utility is designed and programmed with highly advanced feature to help you recover contents from several types of storage devices. It supports almost all types of file systems and file formats. Any Mac OS X users can easily used it without any hesitation because of it’s simple and user-friendly interface. The best thing about this software is that it allows Mac user to resolve the Trash related almost all issues.
- Enough for the beginners Mac user
- Supported 550+ file formats
- Preview items to check the quality.
- Simple operation
- Flexible recovery modules and much more.
|Supported Operating System||MacOS Sierra, Mac OS X 10.11 EI Capitan, 10.10 Yosemite, 10.9 Mavericks, 10.8 Mountain Lion, 10.7, 10.6, 10.5, 10.4|
|RAM||1GHz and above|
|Hard Disk Space||512MB or above (1GB is recommended)|
|Supported File System||NTFS, FAT16, FAT32, HFS+|
- Open Tenorshare Mac Data Recovery software and choose Lost file Recovery option.
- Choose the volume and click on Scan button to start the scanning procedure.
- Preview the file.
- At last, save your preferable file at your desired location.
Here, the list of all free and paid software is described for the Mac user, so that they can easily recover their Trash content or resolve almost all Trash related issues. If you are also one of the Mac user who accidentally deleted contents from the Trash folder and want to get back then you must use Stellar Mac Data Recovery Software.
Why Stellar Mac Data Recovery?
Stellar Mac Data Recovery tool is another best product launched by Stellar Company that believed or trusted by almost 200+ million users. This software comes with an interactive and user-friendly interface which makes it very easy to use. The beginners user can easily handle this software without any hassle. It is featured with highly advanced features and programmed by professional expert to help you in recovering almost all types of file. Among the all Trash recovery software, Stellar Mac Data Recovery tool is an efficient and effective one.
How to Install Stellar Mac Data Recovery?
To install Stellar Mac Data Recovery on your Mac System, follow the provided simple steps carefully :
- Download Stellar Mac Data Recovery Software to your Mac System.
- Double click on the “.DMG” file.
- After that drag software to your Application folder.
- In the application folder, double click on software to execute it.
- Now, perform the setup of Installation wizard carefully.
- Accept software license completely and lastly, click on Install button to perform the successful installation procedure.